The Lyle family made a very surprising discovery Monday morning. Seth was getting to leave to go out of town and Fonzie wanted desperately to go out the front door. We initially thought that he wanted to go after two mallard drakes in our front yard. I have to admit, I thought it would be fun to see Fonzie chase them, so I let him out. But he didn't go after them, instead he instantly jumped off our porch onto one of our bushes and then out of nowhere a female mallard flew off...we had no idea she was there. She left her two eggs behind. We were all amazed that a duck had laid eggs right beside our house. I was scared that she would abandon her nest after that incident. But she didn't and every night she comes faithfully back to sit on her eggs. The kids have named her Claribel and every morning they can't wait to see her behind our bush. We also checked out some books at the library about mallard ducks...the kids are totally getting into the "homeschool" science experiment going on at our house. I hope to catch pictures of her ducklings when they hatch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment